“The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.” You keep getting this error whenever you try to run a program, don’t you?
For some people, the error message may look like the following. “The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.” Don’t worry! By the time you finish going through this article, you will know how to eliminate this issue from your system forever.
How to Solve msvcp140.dll is Missing Error?
The error message you see literally says an important file is missing from your computer. Did you notice the file extension? It’s dll.
What is a DLL File in Microsoft Windows 10?
DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library. Every program you run makes use of dll files. It is a type of file that programs call upon to do specific things. That means multiple programs can call a single dll file simultaneously.
When you accidentally delete or lose the file, you will find it unable to run certain programs. What can you do then? Let’s see.
How to Fix msvcp140.dll is Missing Issue on Microsoft Windows version runtime errors?
You are going to get multiple solutions. As we say in every tutorial, go in a systematic sequential order.
Solution 1: Check Your Recycle Bin for msvcp140.dll
If you are lucky, you will find the file in the Recycle Bin in Microsoft Windows version 10. As you know, all the deleted files on Windows find their way to the Bin. In case the person deleted the file played smart enough, he/she would have pressed the Shift with the Delete button. Then, you have no chance of recovering it from the Recycle Bin.
Solution 2: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
In case you don’t know, msvcp140.dll is a part of Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio Package in Microsoft Windows.
- First, you have to determine whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. For that, press Win key+ X and choose System.
- Check the marked portion on your screen. If it’s 32-bit, you will see x86 and for 64-bit, it will be x64.
- It’s time for you to download the installer from the official site. Click here to do that.
- Select the language and hit Download to move on to the next step.
- You will get two options there. Opt for the one in accordance with the version of your operating system. For 64-bit OS software application, you get vc_redist.x64.exe (or an executable file with the similar name).
- On the completion of the downloading process, open the file to begin the installation.
- Once you are done with all the installation procedures, restart your computer.
In most cases, you will never see the error. Wait! Do you still see it? You can now try the third solution.
Solution 3: Install msvcp140.dll File
Your computer doesn’t house the required file. So, why don’t we download it? The dll file missing is a common issue on Windows computer that there are dedicated websites and applications to download such files.
- You have to install dll-files.com desktop client first. Click here to download the executable installer.
- Once you have the installer on the computer, don’t forget to open it up. You can install the client in the same way you approach any other program installation.
- Enter msvcp140.dll into the search bar to see the available files on their database.
- Most probably, you will get three search results. Choose the correct one, which resides on the top.
- Finally, hit Install. (When you download the file, you will have to manually place in a system folder. Here, the client takes care of it). They want you to register for their program before it installs the file.
- Restart your computer to bring the changes into effect.
I hope you have got rid off the error. In case you still see msvcp140.dll missing error, you can try the next fix.
Solution 4: Reinstall the Problematic Program
You are here because nothing given above worked, right? Let us say you get the error when you try to launch Skype. Then, reinstalling the specific program may fix the issue.
- There are multiple ways to uninstall a program on Windows. We are taking the shortcut. Hit Win key+ R simultaneously to get the Run dialogue box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter to get a list of all the applications installed on your system.
- Right-click on the program that’s giving you the headache (here, it’s Skype). Choose Uninstall.
- You will be asked whether or not you are sure of the removal. Click Yes.
- Once the removing process gets finished, restart the computer. Reinstall the software. That’s it.
You have got four solutions to msvcp140.dll error here. The second and third method are so powerful that the issue can be fixed almost 90% of the time. From now on, make sure you don’t delete paramount files from your computer.